It’s that time of year again when you need to start preparing for snow and ice. Get your heavy winter coat out of storage, inspect your furnace and maybe even pick up a new snow shovel to clear your driveway—those are all important aspects of winter preparedness. Four other things you can’t overlook, though, are your tires!
Putting on winter tires in Salt Lake City, UT saves lives and prevents countless accidents each winter. This post will teach you why you need to know about winter tires, and why you need to put some on your car this winter.
Benefits of winter tires
Millions of folks wouldn’t put winter tires on their vehicles if they didn’t come with a number of benefits. These are a few of the top reasons diligent car owners swap out their standard tires for winter tires when the temperatures drop:
- Better traction: We shouldn’t have to tell you that winter driving is tricky. On ice and snow and in colder temperatures, those standard tires typically don’t provide you with enough traction to get going and eventually slow down when coming to a stop. Winter tires, however, have deeper tread and softer rubber that work to give you much better traction when you’re out on the road. Though they’re not invincible, you’ll have a much easier time starting and stopping if you have winter tires.
- Increased control: Slipping and sliding are common issues when you’re out and about after a snowstorm. Drivers with winter tires, however, never seem to have as hard of a time out on the road. The deeper tread helps prevent your car from sliding around, so you have almost as much control as you would on a warm summer afternoon.
What else can I do?
Buying a new set of winter tires doesn’t guarantee your safety on the road. Here are a few other things you can do to avoid any injuries this winter:
- Get an inspection: Having your tires inspected this time of year is never a bad idea. Though you may be able to tell when your tread is running low, a professional will be able to tell when your sidewalls are getting thin and let you know if it’s time to have those old tires replaced.
- Buy chains: Tire chains aren’t always necessary, but they sure are nice to have! We recommend buying tire chains and keeping them in your trunk. You never know when they might come in handy when your winter tires just aren’t cutting it.
- Drive smart: You could have the highest-quality winter tires with chains on them, but if you don’t drive smart, you’re still a danger to yourself and other drivers. In addition to driving slower, always give yourself plenty of time to come to a stop, and keep a safe distance between yourself and the car in front of you.
If you’re looking to purchase some winter tires in Salt Lake City, UT, or if you just want to have your current tires inspected for safety, be sure to come by AMR Auto Repair & Towing. We carry the top tire brands, and our experts can quickly tell whether or not you need a new set.
Categorised in: Winter Tires
This post was written by Writer