When it comes to extending the life of your vehicle, any advantage can be helpful, no matter how small it may seem. That is why your local auto repair shop in Salt Lake City, UT is here with eight simple maintenance tips that you can keep up with at home that will go a long way toward keeping your car on the road:
- Oil change: One of the simplest ways to protect your engine and keep your car running smoothly is by staying regular with your oil changes. Your car’s manual will outline how often you should have the filter and oil changed, but the general rule of thumb is every three months or 3,000 miles.
- Coolant flush: Over the course of a year, deposits can build up and lead to corrosion that can deteriorate your cooling system. Keeping your cooling system running properly will require that the system be completely flushed at least once a year.
- Wash your car: After a long winter, salt buildup and grime are covering your entire car, particularly the undercarriage. Making sure to give your car a good wash all over can remove damaging contaminants, which can help to discourage the growth of rust and corrosion that could spread and damage your car’s frame.
- Protect the interior: To extend the life of your car’s interior, try to park your vehicle in the shade whenever possible. If this is not feasible, try to use a window deflector screen or apply a UV protectant.
- Check the brake lines: Because brake fluid naturally attracts moisture, it should be bled and replaced at least once a year. Taking care of this process is simple and relatively inexpensive, and is certainly the preferred option to replacing failed calipers, hoses and sensors.
- Keep parts lubricated: All of your car’s moving parts need lubrication to operate. Without the proper amount of lubrication, your car’s parts could start to grind and rub against other metal parts, causing the type of excessive wear that could lead to expensive repairs.
- Transmission fluid change: Just as it is necessary to keep your car on schedule with oil changes, it is just as important to maintain your current transmission intervals as well. Make sure that the transmission fluid that is being used matches the type and viscosity set by your car’s manufacturer.
- Inspect tires: Riding around on tires that have worn past their tread is not only unsafe, but it can be affecting the performance of your vehicle as well. Properly inflated tires with the right amount of tread can help your tires grip the road safely, and can actually help to improve your car’s gas mileage.
If you need a professional to take a closer look at your vehicle, contact the team at AMR Auto Repairs & Towing. For nearly 20 years, our auto repair shop in Salt Lake City, UT has been helping owners of cars of all makes and models with the repairs they need to keep their vehicles operating at optimal efficiency. Make sure you give us a call today so we can give your car the treatment it needs to safely stay on the road.
Categorised in: Auto Repair Shop
This post was written by Writer