If you’ve recently acquired a trailer, you may anticipate making numerous towing trips. As a vehicle towing company in Salt Lake City, UT, we have a number of tips regarding some key things to know beforehand to help the towing process go quickly and smoothly:
- Be sure your vehicle can handle the added weight: The first and most important step to take before towing a trailer is to make sure that the vehicle you will be driving can safely handle the weight of a trailer. If you’re not sure how to determine this, find out the vehicle’s maximum tongue capacity.
- Know what equipment can allow you to go above your vehicle’s maximum weight capacity: If your vehicle has a hitch that can distribute weight and a sway control device, you should be able to tow the trailer safely. However, it is essential that your vehicle is equipped with both of these items in advance.
- Prepare yourself before your trip: Once you’ve determined that your vehicle can accommodate the trailer that you’re planning to tow, look through your vehicle’s operating manual carefully to be sure you haven’t missed any key information and so that you will be aware of how to make the drive as safe as possible.
- Perform a thorough examination prior to setting out: Check to be sure that all tires are in good condition, without any cracks or other damage. Fill the tires with air ahead of time as well. Be sure that brakes, lights and hitches are also in good working order before making your trip. Don’t forget to bring a tool kit and a spare tire in case you need them.
- Tailor your driving to allow for the additional weight: When you are only driving a car, the driving process is much more straightforward. However, when you add a trailer that needs to be towed, there are some best practices to keep in mind. Namely, make sure that you don’t make any abrupt stops or starts or any other kinds of fast or unexpected movements. Doing so is dangerous both for other drivers on the road and for you, as the added weight of a trailer can easily propel your vehicle with a great deal of force, which can result in an accident.
Whether you’re having your trailer towed or need to arrange for any other type of vehicle towing in Salt Lake City, UT, you need a company you can trust. AMR Auto Repair & Towing was founded more than 15 years ago, and we are proud to have more than 23 years of experience on our team. We provide a wide array of towing services, including towing for any type of vehicle, heavy duty towing, private impounding, lockouts and jumpstarts. We also offer some basic roadside repair services, including small electrical repairs, tire changing and work on batteries, belts and hoses. Our mobile mechanics are available 24 hours a day for emergency service.
AMR Auto Repair & Towing also has a full-service auto shop where we can perform any task from small repairs to major work so that you’ll be out on the road again quickly and safely. Contact us today for any of your towing needs!
Categorised in: Towing Company
This post was written by Writer