Stay Safe During a Nighttime BreakdownOctober 31, 2017 9:36 pm Leave your thoughts
Breaking down on a roadside is stressful enough on its own. Add to that the dark of night, and you’ve got a whole new level of anxiety. Before you call for towing service in Salt Lake City, UT, follow these steps to stay safe until help arrives:
- Turn on your hazards: The first and easiest step to take as soon as you notice you are having a problem is to throw on your hazard lights. This alerts other drivers to the fact that you are probably slowing down, especially because nighttime makes it even harder for other drivers to gauge how fast you are going. Hazard lights tell other drivers to give you a wide berth and go around you when it’s safe to pass.
- Pull over: If your car breaks down on a main road, it’s especially important to pull as far off the road as possible. If you are on the shoulder and stopped, you are at a much higher risk of getting hit. This risk is amplified in the dark, so don’t take any chances.
- Get out of the car safely: Once you pull over, try to get out of the car and move a safe distance away, if possible. Never exit through the driver’s side door, as this puts you perilously close to passing traffic. You might find you have less distance between yourself and the road than you thought, and other drivers who are in the lane closest to you will have a hard time seeing you until it’s too late. Moving away via the passenger door means you won’t be injured in case of an accident. If you do not feel safe in your surroundings, keep the doors locked and sit on the passenger side until the tow truck arrives.
- Grab your flares: A safe driver is a prepared driver, so you should plan to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle year-round. This kit should include flares and reflective triangles, which can be set up behind and in front of your car at a distance of about 30 feet. Not only will this help to alert other drivers, but it will also help emergency responders from your chosen towing service in Salt Lake City, UT to quickly pinpoint your location.
- Check your map: Speaking of pinpoints, another great way to get help to your location quickly is to pull out a maps app on your phone. With our fantastic modern technology, you should be able to “drop a pin” at your current location once the phone finds where you are using GPS. You can then relay your precise mile marker and surroundings to the towing company.
- Call a good towing company: Find a good company ahead of time so that when the time for towing service in Salt Lake City, UT occurs, you’ll already know what provider to call. Find someone experienced, with good reviews and a track record of high customer satisfaction.
Remember, if you break down, you are not alone! Take these simple steps to keep yourself safe, and rest assured you’re getting the best towing service in the area with AMR Auto Repair & Towing.
Categorised in: Tow Truck Service
This post was written by Writer